Give for good this Lunar New Year
Declutter and help the most vulnerable individuals and families with items of need.
A community centric platform in Singapore, GoodHood.SG, is partnering with social service agencies with the SG Cares Network to address pressing community needs. These agencies such as Care Corner Singapore, Lions Befrienders Service Association and TOUCH Community Services have shared their most asked-for items and GoodHood.SG is launching an initiative to mobilise its community to declutter S$5 million worth of items by end of this year.
Supporting the vulnerable individuals and families across Singapore, these agencies have identified areas of critical need:
- Necessary household furniture such as mattresses, refrigerators and washing machines.
- Infant care essentials such as milk powder, diapers and baby strollers.
- Senior care essentials such as adult diapers, hygiene sheets, motorised wheelchairs, handicapped toilet seats and geriatric chairs.
- Non-perishable food Items such as Milo powder, biscuits and groceries.
- Educational supplies such as past year papers, school shoes and backpacks.
- Toiletries and personal hygiene products including soap, toothpaste and sanitary products.
GoodHood.SG encourages the public to contribute these essential items, as well as any underutilised items to Community Health Assist Scheme (CHAS) verified users who might need these items more. Not only will this directly benefit the community, but it will also contribute to reducing environmental impact.
Said Nigel Teo, founder of GoodHood.SG, “GoodHood.SG is the first and only community platform in Singapore with Singpass-verification and CHAS-card verification for our members to allow people decluttering to prioritise giving to verified beneficiaries. … Together we can make a meaningful impactful on the lives of those who require our support the most.”
Since GoodHood.SG’s launch in 2020, the platform has amassed a nationwide network of over 83,000 members who helped facilitate over 81,000 items exceeding over S$2.6 million worth of value with 150 to 250 free listings daily. It also currently has 2,200 verified beneficiaries on its platform.
To participate in the community-driven initiative, update your GoodHood.SG app to the latest version and navigate to the ‘Request’ section highlighting the most asked-for items or list your items under the Free section. For more information, download the GoodHood.SG app on Apple Store or Google Play, or visit GoodHood.SG.